- 500 ml milk
- 50 g plain flour
- 90 g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles forms.
- In a bowl mix egg yolks with sugar.
- Add flour in one go. First mix slowly, then quickly.
- Pour half the hot milk onto the egg mixture and mix rapidly. Add vanilla essence.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan with the other half of the milk
- Cook for 15 to 30 seconds stirring continually with a wooden spoon (or a whisk), or until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, let cool before refrigerating.
Tip: To make chocolate crème patissiere, simply melt 50 g of dark chocolate using bain-mare then fold into the vanilla crème.
Do you make your own custard or to you buy it?