Although I have been relatively quiet about it on the blog, since buying our first home in February, I have been pining away home decor on Pinterest, watching every single home makeover TV show, and extensively reading about interior design. Renovating our home is a LONG work in progress but things have started to take shape, slowly but surely…
Along the journey, I learnt the following top 10 tips to get the designer look:
- Room flow & space: in small spaces, don’t choose oversized furniture
- Chose natural foundation pieces and pump up the colour with artworks, lighting, cushions, rugs and vases.
- Define your spaces with rugs: make it a focal point, a statement. The number one mistake people make is using a rug that’s too small.
- Mix old and new to enhance a room’s energy.
- Create illusion with mirrors to update your room and create the illusion of more space with a large mirror
- Make your balcony an extension of your inside living space, decorate with colourful lanterns, hanging birdcages and cushions
- Invest in classic pieces that offer timeless quality and never go out of style. Keep big-ticket items like beds and sofas in classic colours – so they won’t date
- Have fun with cushions in bold colours, punchy patterns and prints: vintage-style stamp, retro print and wildlife cushions are on-trend
- Mix and match materials.
- Sheer curtains are a great way to create flow between inside and outside
Do you like interior design?
How/where do you find inspiration for your home?
1. Bed Bath N’ Table