One of my best childhood dessert memories is mum's home made "Flan aux Oeufs". It's similar to a Crème Caramel but without the caramel (so has less calories). What I like most about this dessert is that it is very simple: only 3 main ingredients are required. Everybody have milk, sugar and eggs at home so you won't need to run to the grocery store with a list of things impossible to find to be able to make this dessert.
Home made crème or flan are so much healthier: less sugar, no fat, no preservative, no GELATINE!
- 3 farm fresh eggs
- 500ml of (skim) milk
- 80 g raw sugar (less processed than refined white sugar)
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
|I used 3 eggs, not 4 sorry!|
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine milk, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until small bubbles form at edge of pan.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl.
- Remove milk from heat and add to the omelette like mixture slowly, stirring constantly. Tip: if the eggs start to solidify whisk for a few minutes.
- Divide between small oven proof dishes or verse into a larger baking dish.
- Place dishes in a large baking dish or deep tray and pour boiling water into tray until halfway up the sides of the smaller dishes.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Set aside to cool. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
|Heat the milk with sugar and vanilla essence|
|While the milk and sugar cooks, whisk the eggs in a bowl|
|The kitchen in my new home|
|Add water and place in the oven for 45 minutes|
|Serve very cold!|