The weather is starting to cool down, kids are back at school and autumn is just around the corner. When I think about autumn, I imagine the yellow and orange vineyards of the Languedoc-Roussillon. I also picture a cosy sofa, a book and a warm cup of tea. Autumn is a beautiful season.
The special thing about this banana bread is that it is gluten-free. In this recipe the wheat flour is replaced by almond flour. It changes the texture a lot because almond flour is quite moist. This banana bread makes a great lunch box snack: almond flour is high in protein, low in carbohydrates and a high source of protein.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or butter - I used butter in mine)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of brown rum (optional - I put some)
- 1 cup crushed pecans or walnuts (optional - I didn't put some)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together your dry ingredients: almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in the eggs, maple syrup (or honey), butter (or coconut oil), vanilla extract and rum if you chose to add some to your recipe.
- Stir the mix in the dry mixture until well combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool down and serve with a nice cup of tea!
Do you cook with almond flour?
What is your favourite autumn recipe?