Healthy Italian Mixed Beans Salad
The mixed bean salad is easy to prepare and makes a nice side dish for grilled pork, fish or chicken. Beans are among the oldest cultivated plants. Compared to grains, legumes supply about the same number of calories but usually two to four times as much proteins.
- 250 g French green beans, tops trimmed
- 400 g can Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 400 g can cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
- 150 g Roasted red capsicum, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup pitted Greek kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Bring a medium-large saucepan of water to the boil. Add green beans, return to the boil, and cook for 1 min. Drain, then plunge into a bowl of iced water and stand for 1 min. Drain again and pat dry with paper towels.
- Layer green beans, canned beans, capsicum and olives on a serving plate and scatter with basil leaves. Mix oil and vinegar and drizzle over salad.
Do you have a favourite summer salad?