You may have read last year my post explaining "why eating a healthy breakfast is important'.Starting our day with a good, healthy breakfast gets our metabolism started and supports weight loss efforts, giving us plenty of energy to get us through the day. Having a balanced breakfast also helps start the day in a happy and stress-free mood and reduce cravings during the first part of the day.
Toasted muesli is a simple and delicious breakfast meal. The main ingredient in muesli is rolled oats combined with a mixture of nuts, seeds, desiccated coconut, and whatever else tickles your fancy!
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of nuts (I used macadamia nuts, walnuts and roasted almonds)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup goji berries
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
4 tsp cinnamon ground
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- To toast rolled oats, just spread in a shallow layer in a baking pan
- Mix some cinnamon through the oats (for a sweeter muesli, you can also mix through some maple syrup or honey).
- Bake for about 15 min, or till lightly browned, stirring occasionally
- Once the oats is toasted remove from oven and add mix grains, nuts and seeds (add more cinnamon if required)
- Pack in airtight containers or ziplock plastic bags.
The best thing about making your own cereal is that you get to add all the things you like and none of the things you don’t! Enjoy!
What do you like to have for breakfast?